Valuation check: 50 m² new-build flat in Vienna, asking €161,000 - am I overthinking this?

kit_escrow

Landlord
Established
The €161,000 asking price looks interesting at first glance, but the limited sales evidence makes me hesitant. This is described as a two-bedroom new-build flat in Vienna, roughly 50 m², with good light and location but only average internal condition and some dated finishes.

I have found three comparable listings and one completed transaction. The asking price equates to €3,220 per m², though I do not want to apply that figure mechanically when floor level, layout and unit size may differ. Would you estimate the refurbishment work directly rather than use a general condition percentage?

The exact micro-location and recurring service charges may matter more than a modest difference in floor area. I also need to clarify what “new-build” means here, along with tenure or remaining lease, parking, outdoor space and current energy information. Once those facts and the completed comparable are checked, I intend to obtain an independent local valuation rather than assume future appreciation.
 
With only one completed comparable, I wouldn’t apply a blanket condition percentage yet. First compare that sale on a per-square-metre basis, then account separately for floor level, light, outdoor space and parking. A small flat can also carry a different per-m² price from a larger one, so a straight floor-area adjustment may mislead.

The missing fact that would change my view most is the exact micro-location, followed closely by recurring service charges.
 
Also, what does “new-build” mean here if the finishes are already dated—recent construction, or simply newer than the surrounding stock? The completion year and current energy information would help distinguish cosmetic replacement costs from potentially higher ongoing costs.
 
I’d put less weight on condition than stillreading.olsen does, unless something actually needs replacement. Dated finishes are visible and negotiable, but buyers can price them very differently. By contrast, no balcony, an awkward 2-bed layout within 50 m², or a poor position inside the building cannot easily be fixed.

Can you confirm whether the comparable sale had the same usable floor area and similar outdoor space?
 
Three asking comparables are still useful, just not as proof of value. Track how long they remain listed and whether their asking prices change. For the completed sale, make a simple adjustment table: size, floor, lift access, light, condition, parking and outdoor space. Keep each item separate rather than forcing everything into one percentage.

I would also request the service-charge breakdown and clarify the ownership or lease terms before making an offer.
 
The €161,000 headline may not be the whole comparison if parking is mandatory or priced separately, and the same applies if one comparable includes a balcony or terrace. I’d calculate an adjusted range twice: once using only the completed sale, and once using all four comparables but treating the three asking prices as upper indications rather than achieved figures.

If those two ranges diverge widely, the practical next step is not finer spreadsheet adjustments—it is finding another completed transaction or asking the local appraiser to explain which micro-location differences matter most.
 
Back
Top