Valuation check: 50 m² condo in Singapore, asking S$1,501,000

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
S$1,501,000 for 50 m² is the number I am trying to make sense of. The Singapore one-bedroom condo is well positioned and bright, although it needs cosmetic work and the remaining lease could affect both present value and resale.

My comparison set contains only one completed transaction; the other three units are still on the market. Applying the development's average price per square metre to every floor-area difference seems unsafe. For example, five extra square metres in a poor layout may contribute less than parking or usable outdoor space.

I am leaning toward checking the remaining lease first, then establishing whether the completed sale matches for development, date, floor, orientation and layout. After that I would compare service charges and price the identifiable renovation work directly. Does that order make sense? My rental case assumes eleven occupied months, but the maintenance reserve may also be too low. I will obtain a local appraisal before relying on the result.
 
Remaining lease would be my first missing fact. For condition, I’d use the estimated renovation cost as the lower adjustment, then allow something extra for disruption and uncertainty rather than applying an arbitrary percentage. Floor area should not be adjusted at the condo’s average price per square metre: the marginal value of extra space is usually the more relevant comparison.
 
Is the completed sale in the same development, and how close is it in date, floor level, orientation and layout? With only one transaction, those details could matter more than whether the other units differ by a few square metres.
 
I wouldn’t automatically put lease length ahead of micro-location. If all four comparables have broadly similar tenure, the completed sale’s view, noise exposure and walking convenience may explain a substantial gap. Light is also easy to overvalue from a viewing unless you know the orientation and whether future obstruction is possible.

The asking listings are still useful for identifying the seller’s competition, but not for proving S$1,501,000 is achievable.
 
I’d build three columns: the completed sale as the valuation anchor, current listings as the negotiation context, and ownership costs as a separate affordability test. Confirm remaining lease, service charges, what parking actually conveys, and whether any outdoor area is exclusive. Then get renovation estimates and rerun the rental case with a larger repair reserve. That should give the local appraiser a much cleaner set of assumptions to challenge.
 
Back
Top