Valuation check: 40 m² serviced apartment in Cape Town at ZAR 24,390,000

crane.happy

Property investor
The seller’s case rests on the light, location and serviced-apartment demand, but I’m hesitant to treat those features as enough support for ZAR 24,390,000. This is a roughly 40 m², one-bedroom Cape Town unit in average condition, with dated finishes and possible building reserve costs.

I have three active asking examples and only one completed sale. Rather than applying a broad discount, I’m trying to compare internal area, exact micro-location and condition line by line, while allowing for the possibility that smaller units command a different rate per square metre. The unresolved items are lease length, total service charges, parking and outdoor space. Which would alter your valuation most?

Insurance, maintenance and reserve contributions could outweigh a cosmetic adjustment, so I plan to obtain the building-cost details and a formal local appraisal before relying on a figure.
 
With only one completed comparable, I wouldn’t apply a broad percentage adjustment yet. First compare it line by line with the subject: same building or micro-location, actual internal area, condition, parking, outdoor space and sale terms. Smaller units can have a different rate per square metre, so a simple floor-area multiplier may mislead.

The fact that would change my view most is the serviced arrangement and its remaining lease length, closely followed by total service charges and any reserve contribution. At ZAR 24,390,000, even a modest recurring cost or restriction matters. Ask for the completed sale details and a full breakdown of building costs before trying to grade the finishes numerically.
 
Back
Top