Valuation check: 210 m² Helsinki townhouse asking €1,122,000

CandidCanvas

Market analyst
Market Reporter
A completed sale has now turned up, but it has raised another question because I cannot yet tell whether its floor area is measured on the same basis. The property I am assessing is a 3-bed Helsinki townhouse of roughly 210 m², in average condition, with an asking price of €1,122,000. The light and location appeal to me; the dated finishes are the obvious drawback.

There are also three active asking-price comparisons, so I am considering separate scenarios for modest updating and more extensive work rather than one condition deduction. Before putting much weight on any price-per-square-metre figure, I need to confirm how usable the full area is, what outdoor space and parking are included, and whether the land is owned or subject to a lease with a limited term remaining. Which of those would most alter your view of value? I will still have the property appraised locally before making a decision.
 
I would not apply the full average price per square metre to all 210 m². Extra area usually needs to be valued according to how usable it is, particularly if some rooms are below grade, awkwardly arranged or mainly storage. For condition, I would run scenarios rather than choose one deduction: no immediate work, moderate updating and extensive renovation. The completed sale deserves more weight than the three asking prices.
 
The missing fact for me is the precise micro-location. Even within Helsinki, two superficially similar townhouses can differ because of outlook, traffic, access and the character of the immediate street. After that, I would want to know the land tenure or remaining lease length, recurring service charges, and whether significant works are anticipated.
 
I agree on micro-location, but the outdoor space may be nearly as important for this property type. Is there a private garden, terrace or only shared space? Parking also needs to be separated from the house value: an included space is not equivalent to parking that must be rented or obtained separately. Those differences could make the lone completed sale much less comparable than it first appears.
 
Be careful not to double-count the dated condition. It may already be reflected in the asking price relative to the other listings. I would create a simple grid showing each comparable's floor area, condition, exact setting, outdoor space, parking, tenure and recurring charges. Adjust only for visible differences, then calculate a range with and without the one completed sale rather than forcing a single number.
 
Before the comparison set is finalised, I would want one point settled: are all 210 m² recorded on the same basis as the other properties? A deadline would not persuade me to rely heavily on the completed sale until that is clear.

The sale is stronger evidence than an asking price only if its layout, condition and position are genuinely similar. A renovated house with better outdoor space could be a poor benchmark despite being nearby. I would ask for the area breakdown and tenure details, including any remaining lease term, then compare the sold property’s garden or terrace, parking and condition with this townhouse. That should show whether it deserves the greatest weight or is merely one edge of the range.
 
At €1,122,000, the headline figure is about €5,343 per m², but that is only a starting calculation. I would ask the agent to reconcile the stated area, identify what is included in the price, and provide a clear breakdown of service charges and any property-tax exposure. Then inspect the sold comparable against the townhouse room by room and feature by feature. That should reveal whether the apparent difference is mainly size, condition or location.
 
One addition: test the valuation backwards from the strongest comparable. Start with its completed price, adjust separately for usable area, condition, parking and outdoor space, then see whether the result approaches the asking price. Repeat from each active listing using an allowance for negotiation rather than treating its asking figure as a sale. If the resulting ranges do not overlap, the properties probably are not genuinely comparable.
 
Back
Top