Valuation check: 205 m² Delhi duplex asking ₹15,860,000

StillPorch

Real estate agent
Established
Paying too much for the space would leave little room for the building costs that may follow. I’m considering a 2-bed Delhi duplex of about 205 m², priced at ₹15,860,000. Its location and natural light appeal to me, but the finishes are dated and the overall condition looks average.

There are three current listings I can compare, yet just one confirmed transaction. I’m unsure whether to grade condition by estimated upgrade cost or rely more heavily on a rate per square metre. Private outdoor space, the basis used to measure the 205 m² and any service charges or reserve contributions could also change the calculation.

Which of those facts would you verify first before setting a bidding limit? I will still arrange a local appraisal, but I want to identify the largest risk before spending more time on the deal.
 
I would not apply a blanket condition percentage. Estimate the reasonable cost of bringing the dated areas up to the standard of the best comparable, then add something for disruption and uncertainty. For floor area, use a marginal rate rather than multiplying every extra square metre by the average rate. The exact micro-location and building would change my view most.
 
What is the tenure? If it is leasehold, the remaining lease length and transfer conditions could matter more than the finishes. Also, are all four properties reporting area on the same basis? A 205 m² figure is not very useful if one listing means carpet area and another includes common or other non-exclusive space.
 
I’d push back on automatically giving the completed sale the greatest weight. It is better evidence than an asking price only if it is recent and genuinely comparable. A different lane, floor, outlook, building condition or parking arrangement can overwhelm the sale-versus-listing distinction. Do you know its sale date and whether it was also a duplex?
 
The asking price works out at roughly ₹77,400 per m², but that headline figure may flatter a duplex. Internal stairs and circulation can make part of the 205 m² less usable, while a large two-bedroom layout may not attract the same rate as a more conventional configuration. I’d compare usable room sizes and layout, not area alone.
 
A simple comparison grid would help: transaction or asking price, date, area basis, condition, floor, parking, outdoor space, tenure, and recurring charges. Grade condition consistently rather than calling one “average” and another “good.” I would show at least two scenarios because the unknown discount between asking and achieved prices cannot be solved from a single completed sale.
 
The possible reserve cost should be kept separate from cosmetic condition. Dated finishes are visible and negotiable; a poorly funded building expense can be both uncertain and difficult to avoid. Ask for the service-charge history, current budget and details of any planned major work. Insurance costs should also be compared on the same coverage and payment basis.
 
Parking could be a substantial source of error here. Confirm whether a space is included, separately held, merely allocated, or absent, and make the same distinction for the comparables. I’d also check balconies, terraces or other private outdoor space. Those features should be adjusted directly where possible rather than buried in a general floor-area rate.
 
I’m not convinced that renovation cost plus disruption fully captures condition. Buyers may discount dated property by more than the work costs when the scope is unclear, but sometimes less if the layout, light and location are hard to replicate. I would use the renovation estimate as an anchor, then test whether the completed comparable supports that adjustment.
 
For negotiation, I’d avoid presenting one supposedly precise value. Build a lower case that includes conservative usable area and the likely building costs, a middle case with neutral assumptions, and an upper case where the location and light deserve a premium. Then make any offer conditional on confirming tenure, measured area, charges and planned works.
 
The most valuation-sensitive missing fact may be the completed sale’s true comparability. If it is in the same building or immediate pocket, has the same tenure and area basis, and sold recently, it can anchor the analysis. If not, the micro-location and building finances become more important than its completed status. I would resolve those points before choosing any condition or area adjustment range.
 
Back
Top