Valuation check: 2,690 sq ft duplex in Boston, asking $1,055,000 - am I overthinking this?

AwakeQuill

Real estate agent
Verified Pro
I have now found one completed sale, which makes the lack of other achieved prices more obvious. The property is a Boston 1-bed duplex of about 2,690 sq ft, in average condition and listed at $1,055,000. The light and position appeal to me, while the finishes and possible building costs do not.

Three active listings provide some context, but I am wary of valuing every square foot equally in such an unusual layout. Should I start with the sold property and cost the required work separately? I am also unsure whether exact micro-location, service charges, reserve exposure, parking or outdoor space would have the greatest effect. I will still obtain a local appraisal before acting on the estimate.
 
The layout is the first concern. A 2,690 sq ft home with one bedroom may not command the same rate across all of its space; for example, extra circulation or reception area is not necessarily valued like space that could form another bedroom.

I would use the achieved sale as the starting reference, then price the identifiable updating work rather than applying a broad condition discount. Keep potential reserve or building charges in a separate column. After that, check whether the sold property is close enough at street or block level to be a meaningful comparison.
 
I’d put the building finances ahead of micro-location, assuming the comparable is already nearby. What are the service charges, reserve position and any expected building work? Also, is this owned outright or subject to any lease length? Parking and private outdoor space could materially affect whether the other properties are truly comparable.
 
Getting this wrong could leave me paying a premium for space that the next buyer values very differently. I had assumed the full 2,690 sq ft deserved a broadly uniform rate, but a large reception area in a one-bedroom layout is a useful counterexample.

I will begin with the completed sale, then separate in-unit renovation from service charges, reserve exposure and expected building work. I also need to confirm tenure or lease details, precise micro-location, parking and private outdoor space before narrowing the range. The active listings can then serve as a reasonableness check rather than proof of value.
 
Also convert the three asking comparables into a range, not evidence of achieved value. Start from the completed sale, note differences in layout, condition, light, parking and outdoor space, then use the active listings only to test whether your result looks plausible. If large adjustments are needed in several categories, the comparable probably deserves less weight rather than increasingly precise arithmetic.
 
Back
Top