Valuation check: 185 m² duplex in Singapore asking S$576,200

orla_research

Property manager
S$576,200 is the figure I am trying to test for a 3-bed Singapore duplex of about 185 m². It is in average condition, with dated finishes offset by good light and a strong location. Possible property tax costs also need checking separately.

I have three current listings for context but only one completed transaction, so I do not want to force a precise floor-area adjustment from thin evidence. Anyone.com’s saved-property updates helped me follow the listings, although one Singapore location needed correcting. Would lease length, service charges, parking, the area measurement or exact micro-location be the first issue to resolve? I would also appreciate views on using renovation estimates to reflect condition before I obtain a local appraisal.
 
Lease length would change my view first. At roughly S$3,115 per m² based on the stated area, the price looks precise, but that calculation means little if the completed comparable has a materially different lease or micro-location. I would treat the three asking prices as context, not proof. For condition, use likely renovation costs rather than an arbitrary percentage, then add a margin for disruption and uncertainty.
 
Does the 185 m² include outdoor space, and do the comparables measure floor area on the same basis? I’d also want service charges, parking arrangements and the exact micro-location. Those details could explain a gap that otherwise gets attributed to “dated finishes.” With only one completed sale, even a small mismatch can distort the whole comparison.
 
Using renovation costs is understandable, but I hesitate to treat them as the entire condition adjustment. A buyer may tolerate old finishes where the layout works well, or demand more than the building cost where the disruption is substantial.

I am equally wary of scaling the single completed sale directly by square metres. Stairs can reduce the usable efficiency of a duplex, while outdoor space and better natural light may add value that the headline area misses. I would first put both properties on the same area basis, then compare layout, lease, micro-location and service charges before applying a narrower condition allowance.
 
Make a one-page grid for the subject and all four comparables: completed or asking, area basis, lease length, micro-location, condition, service charges, parking and outdoor space. Adjust the completed sale only where you can explain the difference; use the three listings to set an outer bracket and note that sellers may negotiate. Keep possible property tax costs separate from the property valuation until the applicable details are confirmed locally. That gives the appraiser a transparent set of assumptions to challenge.
 
Back
Top