Valuation check: 175 m² Berlin apartment at €1,228,000

zane_heath

Property investor
I can anchor the valuation to three current listings or give more weight to one completed transaction, and neither option feels dependable by itself. The property is a 5-bed Berlin apartment of roughly 175 m² in average condition, with an asking price of €1,228,000.

The light and location are appealing, but the finishes are dated. A simple €/m² comparison may also mislead if the other units differ substantially in size. How would you test adjustments for floor area and condition without giving false precision? I suspect the exact micro-location, parking position or details of the completed sale could move the estimate most, so those are the facts I plan to verify next before arranging a local appraisal.
 
The ask is about €7,017 per m². As a first pass, I might test a 5–10% condition adjustment, but only as a scenario rather than an automatic deduction. For floor area, I would compare total prices as well as €/m² because larger apartments do not always scale linearly. Exact micro-location would change my view most.
 
How close is the completed sale in date, size and street location? One genuinely similar transaction can be more informative than three current listings, but not if it is a smaller renovated unit several blocks away. I’d also want the floor, lift situation and whether the light comes with noise or overheating.
 
I’d push back on using a blanket 5–10% condition discount. “Dated finishes” could mean cosmetic work, or it could conceal expensive kitchens, bathrooms and building systems. Estimate the work in euros first, then consider the disruption and uncertainty. Applying a percentage to a €1.228m price can exaggerate relatively fixed renovation costs.
 
Outdoor space and parking could materially affect the comparison. Do the subject apartment and completed comparable have balconies, terraces or parking spaces? If one does and the other does not, I would separate those features rather than burying everything inside the €/m² adjustment.
 
Service charges are another missing piece, particularly if financing already feels tight. A buyer’s monthly burden is not just the mortgage. I would establish the current charges, what they include, and whether substantial common-building work is anticipated. A bright apartment can still be difficult to justify if the building costs are unusually heavy.
 
Micro-location is the largest unknown for me. “Berlin” is far too broad, and even nearby streets can differ in traffic, outlook and immediate surroundings. Before refining condition adjustments, map the completed sale and all three listings against the subject. If they are not in the same small area, the apparent pricing pattern may be misleading.
 
Is this conventional apartment ownership, or is there any leasehold element with a remaining term? Lease length only matters if such an arrangement actually applies, but if it does, it could overwhelm modest adjustments for finishes. I would clarify the ownership structure before treating the comparables as equivalent.
 
On parking, I wouldn’t assume it carries the same value everywhere. Its relevance depends heavily on the immediate street and whether it is a separate space or simply a possibility mentioned with the apartment. The same applies to outdoor space: usable depth, outlook and noise matter more than a balcony label alone.
 
I’d build three cases rather than force a single number. Start with the completed comparable, adjusting for micro-location, sale date, condition, size and major amenities. Then use the active listings only as an upper-bound sense check, since asking prices show seller expectations rather than agreed values. A low, central and high case will make the assumptions visible.
 
That framework works, but it still depends on knowing why the completed comparable sold where it did. If it was an urgent sale or had an unusual drawback, giving it most of the weight could be worse than using several imperfect listings. I’d note every unexplained difference instead of creating precise adjustments unsupported by the evidence.
 
Agreed with the objections to my initial 5–10% range. It is useful only for sensitivity testing, not as a conclusion. I’d now model an itemised renovation allowance and compare the result with that percentage range. If the two approaches diverge sharply, that is a warning that the condition description is too vague.
 
Practical order: confirm the exact micro-location and attributes of the completed sale; clarify floor, lift, outdoor space, parking and ownership structure; quantify service charges and likely building work; then obtain a realistic renovation estimate. After that, compare total prices and €/m² under several scenarios. Until those gaps are filled, the €1,228,000 ask is a reference point rather than a defensible valuation.
 
Back
Top