Valuation check: 145 m² coastal home in São Paulo at R$3,948,000

FarStory

Property investor
Established
A 145 m² home with only one bedroom made me reconsider the usual price-per-metre approach. This São Paulo coastal property is in average condition and offered at R$3,948,000. Its setting and natural light are attractive, but the finishes are dated and the rental-related costs remain unclear. I am assuming no appreciation.

There are three advertised comparables available to me, yet only one completed sale. The layout may therefore matter more than a broad floor-area adjustment. I also need to establish any remaining lease term and whether the comparables include similar private outdoor space.

Which of those facts would you treat as the least reversible valuation issue? I would rather show condition as separate scenarios than bury it in one unexplained discount, and I will obtain a local appraisal before proceeding.
 
The ask works out to roughly R$27,200 per m², but I would not apply one flat floor-area adjustment. I’d first model modest, medium and heavy condition deductions—perhaps 5%, 10% and 15% as sensitivity cases rather than claimed market rates.

The missing fact that matters most is the exact micro-location of the completed sale relative to this property. Coastal views, access, noise and even position within the same development can overwhelm a finishes adjustment.
 
What is included with each comparable? Parking, private outdoor space and service charges could explain a large apparent price gap. Also, what does “rental regulation costs” mean here: an existing lease with time remaining, restrictions on short stays, or expected compliance expenses? Those are different valuation problems.
 
I’m wary of ayas’s percentage approach, even as a sensitivity exercise. A dated kitchen is not automatically a 5% or 10% deduction; buyers may value the underlying space and replace it anyway.

The unusual part is 145 m² with only one bedroom. Extra area does not necessarily carry the same per-m² value if the layout limits the buyer pool or cannot readily be reconfigured. I would compare room utility, not just total floor area.
 
Fatima’s point makes the completed sale details even more important. Was it also a 1-bed, and was its 145 m² figure measured on the same basis? If one listing includes terraces or shared-area allocation while another refers to internal space, the apparent floor-area discount becomes misleading.

I’d also want the lease length clarified, if there is a lease, before treating rental income as comparable.
 
I would prefer to produce a tidy adjustment table, but the completed sale may be too different to deserve that weight. A two-bedroom with efficient internal space, for example, could attract a broader buyer pool than a 145 m² one-bedroom even if the headline area is identical.

I would first verify that both area figures use the same basis and compare the floor plans, parking, outdoor space and recurring charges. Only then would I adjust from the completed price. The three advertised properties can provide a reasonableness check, but they should not rescue a weak primary comparable.
 
I would separate renovation costs from the valuation rather than apply a broad condition deduction, but that only works once the comparable itself is properly understood. Was its stated area measured on the same basis, and did it include a terrace, parking or shared allocation? Its floor plan and completion date would also show whether it is genuinely comparable to a 145 m² one-bedroom.

I would obtain those details, clarify any lease term and list the recurring charges before asking the appraiser to explain each adjustment. That gives you evidence to test against the R$3,948,000 price instead of another arbitrary percentage.
 
Back
Top