Valuation check: 115 m² Auckland duplex asking NZ$264,000

I have found three current asking comparables and one recorded sale, but I still cannot tell whether they are close enough to value this property properly. It is a two-bedroom Auckland duplex of about 115 m² in average condition, offered at NZ$264,000. Its light and location appeal to me; the dated interior and possible costs associated with renting it out do not.

Should the completed sale be the starting point, with adjustments based on usable floor area and specific required work, or is the evidence too thin until I confirm the exact micro-location and tenure? I also lack firm details on any lease term, ongoing charges, parking and usable outdoor space.

My rental model assumes eleven paid months, although the repair allowance may be inadequate, and I am not sure the energy rating deserves much weight. My next step is to verify those missing property details before asking for a local appraisal rather than trying to manufacture a precise value from weak comparables.
 
I wouldn’t start with a generic price-per-square-metre adjustment. Use the completed sale as the anchor, then ask whether the extra floor area is genuinely useful living space or just circulation and storage. Grade condition by the actual work required rather than “average” versus “dated.”

The biggest missing fact for me is tenure and, if relevant, the remaining lease length and ongoing service charges. At that asking price, those could overwhelm the cosmetic adjustments.
 
What exactly does “Auckland” mean here? Micro-location could make the three asking comparables misleading even if their size and bedroom count look right. I’d also want to know whether the duplex has dedicated parking and usable outdoor space. Those differences may matter more than adjusting 115 m² against a slightly smaller comparable.
 
I’d go further: one completed sale is not enough to support a neat condition or floor-area range. The asking listings can show the current competition, but not what buyers will actually pay.

Try writing a short adjustment grid for each property: location, tenure, parking, outdoor area, layout, condition and recurring charges. Use directional adjustments—better, similar or worse—until there is evidence for a dollar figure. If the result depends on a precise rate per square metre, the evidence is too thin.
 
Agreed on the thin evidence, although I wouldn’t discard floor area entirely. A 115 m² 2-bed may appeal differently from a smaller, more efficient 2-bed. The floor plan matters: could part of the space function as a study, or is it simply oversized rooms and hallways?

Also, is the completed sale recent enough and genuinely the same property category? If its tenure or recurring costs differ, it may be less useful than it first appears.
 
The eleven-month rent assumption covers some vacancy, but it does not answer whether the repair reserve is adequate. I’d model dated finishes separately from compliance-related work and recurring service charges. One is potentially deferrable; the others may not be.

Before comparing yields, request the full schedule of regular charges, clarify what the energy label refers to, and inspect for larger maintenance items. Then run the numbers with both the current condition and a realistic initial-work allowance.
 
That’s the practical route. My earlier answer put tenure first, but after jonasr79’s point I’d treat micro-location and parking as equally urgent for the comparable analysis. They affect value differently from lease length or service charges, so don’t bury everything in one discount.

I’d make any offer conditional on resolving those facts rather than trying to compensate for unknowns with a large, arbitrary reduction.
 
Back
Top