Valuation check: 1,510 sq ft coastal home in Austin asking $780,000

SimpleWall

Real estate agent
Established
I have to decide shortly whether this is worth pursuing, yet most of the support for the $780,000 price comes from properties that have not sold. There are three active comparables and only one completed sale.

The property is described as a one-bedroom coastal home in Austin and measures about 1,510 sq ft. Its light and location are appealing, but the finishes are dated and I would otherwise call the condition average. Because that floor area is unusually large for one bedroom, a mechanical price-per-square-foot comparison could overstate its value.

First I want to establish what “coastal” means in this listing and confirm the exact micro-location. After that I would check the ownership form, service or management charges, parking and outdoor space, then compare the actual condition with the completed sale. Is there one document or listing detail that would settle the coastal description and ownership costs before I spend more time adjusting the comparables? I will also arrange a local appraisal before relying on any range.
 
I would anchor on the completed sale and treat the three listings mainly as evidence of current seller expectations. The raw asking rate here is about $517 per sq ft, but applying that mechanically could be misleading because 1,510 sq ft is unusually large for one bedroom.

My biggest missing fact is the exact micro-location—and what “coastal” means in Austin. Actual water access or a view is different from an architectural or marketing description.
 
Before adjusting floor area, is this fee simple or does it have a lease term, service charges or shared management? You mentioned management costs, and those could explain why apparently similar homes are priced differently. I’d also want to know whether the completed comparable included parking and private outdoor space. Those differences may matter more than dated finishes.
 
I disagree slightly with starting from price per square foot. In a 1-bed this large, buyers may not pay proportionally for every extra foot if the layout cannot support another bedroom or useful work area. Compare functional space: storage, ceiling height, circulation and whether the outdoor area is included in the stated 1,510 sq ft. Floor area deserves an adjustment, but probably not a straight-line one.
 
Build a small grid with the completed sale in the first column, then mark each difference as superior, similar or inferior: exact location, sale date, condition, interior area, layout, parking, outdoor space, tenure and recurring charges. Adjust one item at a time rather than choosing a blanket condition percentage. If the result depends on a large unexplained condition adjustment, the comparable is probably too weak.
 
Also keep transaction costs separate from market value. They affect what the purchase costs you, but not necessarily what the property itself is worth. Recurring service or management charges are different because buyers may reflect them in offers. I’d ask for the current charge, what it covers, and whether there have been irregular increases or major one-off expenses.
 
With only one closed comparable, I’d produce a range rather than a single figure. Reconcile three cases: the completed sale adjusted conservatively, the current listings discounted for their unproven asking prices, and a downside case with weaker recognition of the excess floor area plus higher ongoing costs. Then compare $780,000 with that range. The next useful information is the full detail of that completed sale and the property’s exact tenure, charges, parking and outdoor-space position.
 
Back
Top