Utrecht student housing: raise rent or retain a reliable tenant?

yard.steady

Homeowner
Established
The €677 monthly difference is what makes this difficult: the Utrecht student property brings in about €2,715, while similar listings are being advertised near €3,392. My existing tenant has a strong payment and maintenance record, so replacing them for an uncertain advertised rent may not leave me better off after an empty period and preparation work.

I am leaning towards a smaller review rather than trying to close the whole gap at once. Before discussing a number, I need to confirm the tenancy type, read the increase provisions in the contract and check the notice requirements that apply to it. How would you compare the permitted adjustment with realistic vacancy and turnover costs, and what maintenance history would you take into account when deciding whether retention is worthwhile?
 
I would not treat €3,392 as money you are automatically losing. Asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent, and one vacant month plus preparation costs can absorb much of an increase.

First establish whether the comparison is genuinely like-for-like: whole property or rooms, similar condition, and the same included services. Also, what type of tenancy is this? That affects which increase and notice rules apply. Once confirmed, offer a compliant, moderate adjustment with clear written reasoning rather than jumping straight to the asking figure.
 
I agree about checking the tenancy rules, but I would not assume retention always wins. A €677 monthly gap is substantial if the comparables are accurate and the present rent can lawfully be adjusted.

Put numbers against both options: permitted increase, realistic vacancy time, maintenance required between tenants, reletting expense and any deposit deductions or return that must be handled properly. Then discuss the review early with the tenant. A staged increase may preserve goodwill, but only if the timing, notice and amount are allowed for this particular contract.
 
Back
Top