Using Rightmove remotely for a Birmingham townhouse search

DaanGale

Real estate agent
Established
Verified Pro
I’m based in Seoul and using Rightmove to search remotely for a townhouse in Birmingham. Coverage has been useful, but duplicate listings, stale availability and inconsistent floor-area figures make comparisons harder than expected. The flood-risk information has been the most valuable part for me.

I’m now deciding whether saved-search alerts are reliable enough or whether I need to track every listing manually. The biggest gaps are knowing how fresh an advert is and what happens after contacting the advertiser. How do the mobile filters, map pins and follow-up process hold up for other buyers?
 
I’d treat alerts as a way to discover adverts, not as confirmation that a property remains available. After making contact, ask the advertiser to confirm availability, the floor-area basis and the property’s precise location. That should resolve more uncertainty than relying on the displayed status alone.
 
What kind of duplicates are you seeing: identical address, photos and price, or similar units within one development? The second case may be legitimate, while the first is mainly clutter. Also, are the mobile filters missing options or simply failing to persist between searches? Those are different problems.
 
I’m not convinced freshness is the biggest risk here. For a remote search, inconsistent floor area and an inaccurate or approximate map pin could distort the shortlist before you even contact anyone. Flood information is helpful, but it needs to correspond to the actual address. I would request clarification before comparing price per unit of area.
 
A simple tracking sheet could cover the weak points: address, date first seen, advertised floor area, asking price, map location and status after contact. Add any available price history or sold-record link, but keep those separate from the current advert. Saved-search alerts can then feed the list without becoming your record of truth.
 
One caution on that spreadsheet: don’t standardise the floor-area numbers until the measurement basis is clear. Otherwise a neat comparison may still be misleading. For this search, mobile seems best suited to catching alerts and making a rough shortlist; the detailed comparison and advertiser follow-up deserve a separate step.
 
Back
Top