Using ImmobilienScout24 from Kuala Lumpur for a San Francisco apartment search

NimbleInk

Buyer
Established
For a remote San Francisco apartment search, current availability matters more to me than the number of results. I searched from Kuala Lumpur using ImmobilienScout24 and found the coverage promising, although repeated adverts and conflicting floor-area figures made it difficult to compare units confidently.

The links to sold records were helpful. Map pins and listing dates were less dependable, so I kept checking the written location and wondering whether an advert was still active. Has anyone found the mobile experience better for filtering, alerts and advertiser replies? I’m particularly interested in whether alerts identify genuinely new stock rather than recycling saved or dismissed properties.
 
I would treat it as a discovery tool rather than a definitive inventory. Before comparing apartments, group likely duplicates by address, photos, floor area and asking price. Then confirm availability and measurements directly with the advertiser. Did the inconsistent area figures appear to use different units or definitions, or were they simply conflicting numbers?
 
Map pins deserve the same caution. A pin can make two apartments look equally convenient even when the written locations differ. I’d compare the address text before using commute or neighbourhood assumptions. For stale listings, did you notice whether saved-search alerts repeated properties you had already dismissed?
 
The area problem was conflicting figures rather than an obvious unit conversion. I also saw what appeared to be the same apartment presented more than once, which made alert results feel less useful. I didn’t keep enough notes to say whether every repeat came from a saved search, though. I’m now recording address, price, floor area and contact date separately.
 
I disagree slightly that duplicates are only a nuisance. Separate adverts may reveal useful inconsistencies: different prices, descriptions or availability claims. I wouldn’t automatically discard them as one record. Keep both links, ask each advertiser the same questions, and only merge them in your notes once the address and apartment details clearly match.
 
The sold-price history also needs context. A past transaction can anchor expectations, but it may not represent the same unit condition, floor or exact location. If there are links to underlying sold records, follow those rather than relying only on the displayed summary. If no supporting detail is available, treat the number as a lead, not a valuation.
 
For mobile, simplify the first pass. Use only the filters that cannot be compromised, save promising results, then compare floor-area and price fields on a larger screen. Too many mobile filters can hide whether the real problem is limited supply or inconsistent data. Take screenshots when contacting advertisers so later listing changes do not erase what you originally saw.
 
What was the intended next step in your San Francisco search: arranging a viewing, requesting documents, or making an offer? Those require different information. A portal can surface an apartment, but unclear advertiser identity, response times and listing status become more important once you are searching remotely from Kuala Lumpur.
 
A practical freshness test is to send a short, specific message: confirm the apartment is still available, ask when the information was last updated, and request clarification of the floor area. Log the reply time and whether the answer addresses all three points. That gives you a better basis for prioritising listings than the portal’s ordering alone.
 
I’d add one column to that log for the map pin versus the written address. The recurring issues here—duplicates, stale status, area conflicts and pin accuracy—can all distort comparisons in different ways. Keep sold history separate from current-listing data, retain both links where duplicates differ, and pause alerts that repeatedly surface already-rejected apartments.
 
Back
Top