SimpleBirch
Landlord
I’m comparing a 540 sq ft townhouse with a similarly priced country home in Phoenix. The townhouse appears easier to maintain, while the country home offers more control but could bring larger, less predictable repair bills.
My budget model covers insurance, energy use, maintenance, vacancy risk and eventual resale liquidity. For the townhouse, I’m also looking at shared-building reserves and the possibility of rising common costs; for the country home, I’m concerned about the heavier management workload. Tenant demand matters too if I need to rent the property later.
The ownership structure may change the answer, so I’m trying not to compare purchase prices alone. What costs or restrictions tend to emerge after the first year, and which documents or property details would you examine before choosing between these two options?
My budget model covers insurance, energy use, maintenance, vacancy risk and eventual resale liquidity. For the townhouse, I’m also looking at shared-building reserves and the possibility of rising common costs; for the country home, I’m concerned about the heavier management workload. Tenant demand matters too if I need to rent the property later.
The ownership structure may change the answer, so I’m trying not to compare purchase prices alone. What costs or restrictions tend to emerge after the first year, and which documents or property details would you examine before choosing between these two options?