Toronto townhouses: is 84 days meaningful or a live-listing distortion?

alex.grove

Property investor
I’m looking at Toronto townhouses listed between C$831,600 and C$1,247,000. Among the listings still online, the apparent time needed to find a buyer is about 84 days. Several of the longest-running examples seem to have insurance-related complications.

Should I treat 84 days as a useful picture of this month’s market, or is the sample distorted by stale listings? Agents have given me conflicting seasonal explanations. I’d particularly like to know how others would incorporate completed sales and withdrawn properties.
 
Live listings alone will usually exaggerate the wait because the quicker sales disappear from that group while difficult properties remain. Compare recent completed sales with the same townhouse type, price range and neighbourhood boundaries. I’d also separate terminated or withdrawn listings; some may return with a new price and a reset listing history.
 
I wouldn’t assume insurance explains the outliers without also looking at condition and price-cut timing. Were those properties actually comparable, or are you combining very different Toronto neighbourhoods and townhouse arrangements? Also, does your 84-day figure run to an accepted offer or only to the point when a listing is marked sold? That definition could materially change the comparison.
 
New-listing volume matters too. A seasonal increase in supply can lengthen the apparent marketing period even if buyer demand has not changed much. I’d build three small groups: completed sales, active listings and withdrawn/terminated listings, then note original price, reductions, condition and days exposed. After that, compare financing-sensitive properties separately. Seller motivation may explain why two otherwise similar homes take very different paths.
 
Back
Top