Toronto serviced apartment at C$1.694m: does a 4.3% gross yield survive costs?

ellis.wilde

Landlord
If the rent projection is too optimistic, this purchase could lock up C$1,694,000 for a return that never compensates for the work or financing risk. The Toronto serviced apartment is a 1-bed with expected income of C$6,038 per month, or C$72,456 a year, producing the advertised gross yield of about 4.3%.

I have allowed for empty periods, management, regular upkeep and a substantial reserve for larger repairs. I still need a verified property-tax figure, and I may be too light on insurance, furnishing replacement and tenant or guest turnover. Which cost would you challenge first? Before proceeding, I also need a defensible net yield target that offers a clear advantage over a simpler investment.
 
At only 4.3% gross, several ordinary expenses could make it unattractive. Get the actual property-tax bill rather than relying on a listing estimate, then identify every building or serviced-apartment fee. Also clarify insurance, owner-paid utilities, furnishing replacement, cleaning and turnover costs. I would want the verified net yield to beat simpler alternatives by a meaningful margin, not merely equal them.
 
The missing fact is what C$6,038 represents. Is it contracted monthly rent, or an average projection before vacant nights, discounts and cleaning? Also, does the management charge cover guest turnover or only administration? A serviced unit can have very different economics from a conventional tenancy. Are you evaluating this as a cash purchase, or with financing?
 
Good point. C$6,038 is an expectation, not guaranteed rent, so I’ll stop treating it as a fixed monthly receipt. I’ll request the assumptions behind it, plus a breakdown of management, cleaning, utilities and building charges. I’ll also run the property return without debt first, then add separate financing scenarios rather than letting leverage disguise a weak underlying yield.
 
I’m not convinced property tax is the main risk. It is at least a defined bill once verified; the durability of the C$6,038 income may be harder to establish. At this price, even modest vacancy or frequent furnishing replacement matters. I would model a weaker-rent case and a higher-turnover case, then see whether the deal still works without assuming appreciation.
 
Start with C$72,456 annual gross income. Subtract property tax, building fees, insurance, management, owner-paid utilities, maintenance, repair reserve, cleaning and turnover, then apply vacancy. Divide what remains by C$1,694,000 for a basic net yield, and also calculate it against the total acquisition cost. Keeping both figures visible prevents the headline yield from doing too much work.
 
Clara’s point also makes the management agreement important. Find out who controls pricing, what services are mandatory, and which charges sit outside the stated management percentage. Separately confirm that the intended rental pattern is permitted by the building and can be insured on acceptable terms. Those questions need Toronto-specific confirmation rather than assumptions based on other markets.
 
For financing, keep net property yield and cash flow after debt as two separate tests. Interest and full debt service affect cash flow, but they do not improve the apartment’s operating performance. Stress a lower income period alongside a higher borrowing-cost scenario. If either produces uncomfortable negative cash flow, the 4.3% gross starting point leaves little protection.
 
I wouldn’t set a universal target net yield because the right comparison depends on financing, liquidity needs and other available investments. I would set the hurdle before receiving the seller’s expense figures. For me, this deal would need a clear premium over a lower-effort alternative after all recurring costs; otherwise the servicing, turnover and concentration in one expensive unit are uncompensated risks.
 
Before deciding, ask for the latest property-tax bill, full building-fee schedule, insurance requirements, management agreement and evidence supporting the rent projection. Also ask about pending major building work or extra owner charges. Recalculate using the current case and a downside case, then make the offer or walk away based on the lower result. If the seller cannot support the C$6,038 assumption, treat that as marketing rather than income.
 
Back
Top