I would prefer payment certainty for the full ten years. The obstacle is deciding whether that certainty is worth a sizeable upfront fee and tighter exit terms.
The quote is 3.56% on a Toronto property costing about C$1,478,000. Once the fee and loan-to-value band are included, the apparent advantage over other offers becomes much less clear. Should the comparison be based on all cash paid over the period I genuinely expect to retain this mortgage, with APR used only as a cross-check? One lender allows much more early repayment but charges heavily for the product. I’m trying to account for portability, monthly affordability and the possibility of moving or refinancing before year ten without assuming favourable future rates.
The quote is 3.56% on a Toronto property costing about C$1,478,000. Once the fee and loan-to-value band are included, the apparent advantage over other offers becomes much less clear. Should the comparison be based on all cash paid over the period I genuinely expect to retain this mortgage, with APR used only as a cross-check? One lender allows much more early repayment but charges heavily for the product. I’m trying to account for portability, monthly affordability and the possibility of moving or refinancing before year ten without assuming favourable future rates.