Toronto newcomer: where should I start with duplex data?

keepTheCairn

Real estate agent
The Toronto local board looks like the obvious starting point, although I am hesitant to build a duplex model from price records before I understand the property differences behind them. I am a real estate agent, but I am currently here to learn more about duplexes, transaction costs, renovation assumptions, and ongoing management.

I joined to see how people in different markets organise the same analysis. For a first purchase in Canada, would you begin with board records, a useful discussion here, or another source that can be checked against completed transactions? I am looking for practical inputs rather than broad market headlines.
 
Welcome. If you already have access to the local board, I’d begin with completed sales rather than advertised-price summaries. Keep the comparisons narrow: similar location, property configuration, condition, and sale period. Then record the original asking price and any later price changes separately. That gives you a cleaner picture of the advertised-versus-completed gap without treating unlike duplexes as direct comparables.
 
What kind of first purchase are you modelling: living in one unit, renting both, or renovating before occupancy? That choice changes which information matters most. I’d also separate vacant and occupied properties, plus renovated and unrenovated ones. Otherwise a spreadsheet can look precise while mixing very different purchase and management situations.
 
Before a first-purchase model is used for a decision, there is a trade-off to settle: sold-price data is useful, but only after the intended use and legal configuration have narrowed the comparison group.

I can see why completed transactions are the tempting first step. Still, a listing described as a duplex may represent a very different arrangement from another two-unit property. I would first record whether the plan is owner occupation, renting both units, or renovation, then identify the financing assumptions and any legal-use questions that need verification. The board data can then be filtered to sales that genuinely match those facts rather than merely sharing the same label.
 
A practical model could have separate sections for purchase price, transaction costs, mortgage assumptions, renovation, and ongoing operation. For each comparable, note asking price, completed price, sale date, condition, occupancy situation, and anything unclear rather than guessing.

For mortgage comparisons, use the same down payment and time horizon so the options are actually comparable. For renovation, keep confirmed work apart from optional improvements. That will make it easier to see whether a property only works because of optimistic assumptions.
 
Don’t leave property management until the end. Run one scenario for self-management and another with management included, then allow for repairs, vacancies, utilities paid by the owner, and turnover work as separate items. I’d build a small Toronto sample from board records first, list the unanswered legal and financing questions it exposes, and only then broaden the comparison to other Canadian markets.
 
Back
Top