Toronto newcomer: best starting point for apartment market data?

openTheKite

Real estate agent
Established
Hello from Toronto. I’m a real estate agent, and lately I’ve been concentrating on apartments: transaction costs, advertised prices versus completed prices, and how those comparisons change across markets. I joined because I don’t want to stay inside one local bubble. For those following Canada, would you start with local board material, a market-data thread, or a practical first-purchase discussion?
 
I’d begin with the local board material, then test what you learn against completed transactions where that information is available. A simple comparison sheet is more useful than a pile of reports: asking price, completed price, listing period, building, unit characteristics, condition, parking, fees and known transaction costs. Otherwise the apparent discount or premium can be misleading.
 
When you say apartments, do you mean individual condo units or whole rental properties? That changes the reading list considerably. For a condo purchase, mortgage comparisons, legal checklists and renovation limits may dominate. For an income property, management assumptions and investment modelling become much more important.
 
I’d actually reverse the order suggested above. Broad market data can hide the details that determine value within a particular building. Pick one real Toronto listing, find the closest completed comparisons you can, and explain every adjustment. Once that exercise exposes the gaps, use board reports and wider datasets to supply context rather than the conclusion.
 
Daniel’s approach is useful, but one building can also give a distorted picture. I’d use several narrowly matched examples rather than one. Keep a separate checklist for financing, legal work, renovation and property management; those items vary by jurisdiction and property type, so cross-market comparisons need more than currency conversion.
 
A workable first month would be: one week defining the property type and intended use, two weeks tracking a small set of live and completed comparisons, then a week modelling purchase and ongoing costs. Post the assumptions as well as the result. That gives members something specific to challenge and should quickly reveal which Canadian data discussions are most relevant.
 
Back
Top