Toronto mortgage quote: comparing a 7.05% two-year fixed offer

musicAndWorkshop

First-time buyer
I would prefer the offer with better flexibility, but the headline figures do not make that choice obvious. The property is around C$884,200, and the quote is 7.05% fixed for two years. Once the lender’s fees and the applicable loan-to-value band were included, the cheaper-looking rate was no longer clearly cheaper.

Should I compare the total outlay over those two years and the balance left at the end, using APR only as a cross-check? The monthly payments are affordable and fairly close. Portability and the cost of selling or repaying early may therefore matter more than a small rate difference.
 
To clarify, affordability at the quoted payment isn’t the main concern. I’m more worried about choosing a slightly cheaper offer that becomes expensive if I move or repay early. I also don’t want the comparison to quietly assume I can refinance on favourable terms after two years.
 
For a two-year decision, I’d compare total cash paid over those two years, including lender fees, and then note the remaining principal balance under each offer. APR can help, but it may not match your actual holding period or plans.

Is 7.05% the contract rate, or a figure adjusted for fees? Also, make sure every lender is using the same down payment and loan-to-value tier before comparing totals.
 
The two-year reset is the condition I would give more weight to. Comparing cash paid during the fixed term is useful, but it can make the cheaper offer look safer than it is if the payment becomes uncomfortable at renewal. Run at least one less favourable rate scenario rather than assuming an easy refinance.

Portability can also be heavily conditional. Ask each lender for written examples covering a move to a more expensive property, a smaller replacement loan and repayment on a realistic date. Those examples should reveal whether the flexibility has any real value.
 
A simple comparison table should settle this: rate, upfront fees, monthly payment, two-year interest, principal remaining after two years, and estimated cost under an early-sale scenario. Add separate notes for portability conditions rather than trying to turn flexibility into one number.

I would not assign value to refinancing savings unless you also model a less favourable reset. If the offers remain close after that, the clearer repayment and portability terms could reasonably decide it.
 
Back
Top