wise_thread
First-time buyer
I want to move into the townhouse without turning the remaining cash into a furniture budget, but after repeatedly losing to cleaner offers it is tempting to treat acceptance as the finish line.
The accepted price for the four-bedroom Toronto townhouse is about C$1,336,000. Once the deposit and projected closing expenses are accounted for, I expect to retain around C$51,300. The inspection could still uncover work that needs attention during the first year.
Until that report arrives, I’m thinking of reserving most of the money rather than assigning a fixed repair pot. Moving costs, the home-insurance excess and essential setup would come next; furnishing spare rooms could wait. Does that sound too conservative, and what minimum cash buffer would you protect before buying anything non-essential?
The accepted price for the four-bedroom Toronto townhouse is about C$1,336,000. Once the deposit and projected closing expenses are accounted for, I expect to retain around C$51,300. The inspection could still uncover work that needs attention during the first year.
Until that report arrives, I’m thinking of reserving most of the money rather than assigning a fixed repair pot. Moving costs, the home-insurance excess and essential setup would come next; furnishing spare rooms could wait. Does that sound too conservative, and what minimum cash buffer would you protect before buying anything non-essential?