If I choose the ownership structure first and investigate the tax position later, correcting it could be expensive. I’m therefore trying to order the checks properly for a Toronto condo costing about C$1,060,000.
The obvious purchase costs are on my list, including transfer charges, registration and the appropriate legal or notarial work. What I have not pinned down are closing adjustments, annual property charges, condo fees, administrative disbursements and any restrictions linked to the buyer or intended use.
Before comparing quotes, which facts should I give a licensed local adviser—residency, financing, new versus resale, main home versus rental, or intended length of ownership? I also want to raise eventual capital-gains treatment and inheritance planning early enough for them to inform the structure. What other checklist items commonly sit outside an initial closing estimate?
The obvious purchase costs are on my list, including transfer charges, registration and the appropriate legal or notarial work. What I have not pinned down are closing adjustments, annual property charges, condo fees, administrative disbursements and any restrictions linked to the buyer or intended use.
Before comparing quotes, which facts should I give a licensed local adviser—residency, financing, new versus resale, main home versus rental, or intended length of ownership? I also want to raise eventual capital-gains treatment and inheritance planning early enough for them to inform the structure. What other checklist items commonly sit outside an initial closing estimate?