table.plain
Property investor
I am torn between judging this on net yield and judging it on monthly cash flow after financing. Either approach looks tight for a three-bedroom Toronto condo costing C$1,343,000 and renting for an estimated C$4,632 a month, which is only about 4.1% gross.
The unit and building appear to be in reasonable condition, but the condo fee and the building’s ability to fund major work could matter more than routine repairs inside the unit. My figures include management, vacancy, normal upkeep and a reserve, though I have not yet tested every financing scenario.
Which cost should be confirmed first before going further: what the condo fee covers, property tax and insurance, or the reserve position? I am concerned that a weak building reserve is the least reversible risk, while higher borrowing costs could remove the remaining cash flow very quickly.
The unit and building appear to be in reasonable condition, but the condo fee and the building’s ability to fund major work could matter more than routine repairs inside the unit. My figures include management, vacancy, normal upkeep and a reserve, though I have not yet tested every financing scenario.
Which cost should be confirmed first before going further: what the condo fee covers, property tax and insurance, or the reserve position? I am concerned that a weak building reserve is the least reversible risk, while higher borrowing costs could remove the remaining cash flow very quickly.