Toronto: 1,990 sq ft condo or similarly priced villa?

What changed my view is the size: at 1,990 sq ft, the condo may not be the low-effort option I first assumed. I’m comparing it with a villa at a similar price in Toronto, and I would be managing either purchase from outside Canada.

For the condo, I need to establish what the monthly fee and insurance actually cover, whether the shared-building reserve is adequate, and how much control an owner has over major work. With the villa, I would carry the full cost of the exterior, heating and other repairs, but could choose when and how they are done.

I’m also weighing utility costs, rental demand, vacancy, resale and the amount of hands-on oversight each property needs. Which documents or recent cost records would best reveal the expenses that tend to emerge after the first year?
 
For the condo, look beyond the current monthly fee. Ask what it includes, how major building work is funded, and whether the reserve appears adequate for planned projects. A villa shifts those shared costs onto one owner: roof, exterior, heating and grounds may arrive irregularly, but you control the timing. At 1,990 sq ft, energy and routine upkeep could materially affect either option.
 
What do you mean by “villa” here, and what is the tenure of each property? That distinction could change the comparison. Also, are you planning to occupy it or rent it out? A renter may value location and commute time more than extra control, while your vacancy risk depends heavily on how each home fits likely tenant demand.
 
I’d push back on the idea that the condo is automatically simpler. You may avoid arranging exterior work yourself, but you still need to examine building management, insurance boundaries, reserve funding and the possibility of costs you cannot control. The villa may involve more work, yet decisions are less collective. Resale liquidity also depends on the specific location, layout and carrying costs, not just property type.
 
Before choosing, build two five-year cash-flow sheets using the same assumptions. For the condo, list fees, likely fee changes, unit insurance, utilities and an allowance for unexpected shared-building costs. For the villa, separate routine maintenance from occasional large repairs, plus insurance, energy and management time. Then compare realistic rent, vacancy periods and commute appeal. Since you’re buying from abroad, have Toronto-based legal, insurance and property-management professionals confirm the tenure, lease terms and responsibility split before committing.
 
Back
Top