Tokyo warehouse at ¥28.3m: what belongs on the full cost checklist?

EarlyGlass

Buyer
Established
I’m building a cost checklist for a Tokyo warehouse priced around ¥28,300,000. Transfer tax, registration fees and any legal or notary costs are the obvious entries, but the estimate seems to change depending on whether the buyer is an individual or another ownership structure.

What should I ask a licensed local professional to show separately for completion, annual property charges and a later sale? Residency rules, capital-gains treatment and inheritance planning may also matter. I’m after useful questions and transaction experiences, not personal legal or tax advice.
 
Ask for two written estimates using the exact ownership options you are considering, rather than one generic closing figure. Each should separate purchase-related taxes, registration and professional charges from recurring annual amounts. I would also request notes on what changes if the owner is non-resident, sells later or dies while still holding the property. Those assumptions are where an apparently complete estimate can become misleading.
 
Does the ¥28.3m cover both the warehouse and the underlying land, or is there a separate land-use arrangement? That seems important before comparing any totals. Also clarify who will actually use the warehouse and whether the proposed holder is an individual or an entity. “Ownership restrictions” can mean different concerns, so I’d ask the professional to identify the specific restriction, if any, rather than leave it as a vague contingency.
 
I would not treat notary costs as automatically applicable just because they appear on an international property checklist. Ask the local professional which steps this particular Tokyo transaction requires and who charges for each one.

A practical format would be four columns: acquisition, annual holding, disposal and inheritance. Then run each proposed ownership structure through all four. The cheapest route at completion may not be the simplest once residency, capital gains and succession are considered.
 
Back
Top