Tokyo villa: how much cash flow should I require before counting on appreciation?

walksAndKey

Property investor
Established
I’m comparing a Tokyo villa with higher-yield properties in cheaper markets. The villa’s current yield is modest, but Tokyo appears stronger on employment, transport access and eventual resale liquidity. The alternatives produce more cash now but may be harder to exit.

I’m inclined to require a minimum net cash return before assigning any value to appreciation. By net, I mean after a vacancy allowance, management, maintenance reserves, insurance and property tax, with financing costs stress-tested as well. Is that the sensible order, or can stronger fundamentals justify weak initial cash flow for a villa? I’d welcome disagreement, provided the underlying assumption is explicit.
 
Your order is sensible, but I wouldn’t use one minimum return across different markets. First calculate the Tokyo villa’s cash flow with no appreciation at all, including a realistic allowance for tenant turnover and larger, irregular repairs. Then test higher interest costs and a longer vacancy.

If it remains comfortably affordable, appreciation can be treated as upside. If the deal only works because you expect prices to rise, that is speculation rather than a cash-flow investment. The missing detail is your intended holding period: stronger liquidity matters much more if you may need to sell early.
 
Back
Top