Tokyo student housing: does the reported +9.6% survive a reserves check?

EarlyGlass

Buyer
Established
The +9.6% figure is what drives the choice, but it is based on asking prices rather than confirmed sales. My Tokyo student-housing sample runs from ¥156,100,000 to ¥234,100,000, with a median marketing period near 111 days. Differences in both unit condition and building condition make that movement difficult to interpret.

A discounted property with a known reserve shortfall might still be measurable. An unclear reserve position is different because the exposure cannot be priced confidently. Are sellers supplying enough information for buyers to negotiate, or are uncertain reserves causing them to move on? I would also like to separate genuine sales from withdrawn or relisted stock and see whether seller motivation changes during those 111 days.
 
I would not treat the +9.6% as confirmed movement without completed prices. It may partly reflect which properties entered the sample.

On reserves, there is a difference between a known shortfall and uncertainty. A buyer can price a known amount into an offer. If the likely expenses cannot be bounded, walking away is rational because a discount may not cover the exposure.
 
The offer decision may arrive before the 111-day history tells you much, so the trade-off is between acting on an imperfect sample and waiting for cleaner evidence. The missing detail for me is how narrowly the neighbourhoods are defined and whether withdrawn or agent-switched listings remain in the count.

I would also split buyers by financing. If the reserve exposure can be bounded, a cash-capable buyer may still negotiate while a financed buyer cannot proceed on the same terms. If neither the reserve figures nor the listing history can be clarified, exclusion looks more defensible than trying to calculate a precise discount.
 
I partly disagree that 111 days is too distorted to be useful. It can still reveal seller motivation, provided you track what happens during those days. A price cut after several weeks is more informative than an unchanged listing that eventually disappears.

I’d record the date and size of each cut, then classify the outcome as completed, withdrawn or still marketed. That should also stop withdrawn stock being mistaken for demand.
 
Condition needs splitting into the individual unit or rooms and the wider building. A freshly presented property can still have an uncomfortable reserve position, while a tired interior may sit in a building with fewer obvious near-term concerns.

For each serious candidate, ask for the current reserve amount, contribution pattern and known planned expenditure, then compare only with properties in the same small area and similar condition. If the seller will not clarify the figures, that itself limits how confidently anyone can price the risk.
 
The useful output may be a range rather than one Tokyo-wide percentage. Keep the +9.6% as an asking-price observation, then build separate ranges for clear reserves, uncertain reserves and visibly different condition.

I’d also note when each seller first cuts the price and whether the listing is later withdrawn. If reserve uncertainty repeatedly coincides with earlier cuts or withdrawals, you have a stronger negotiating clue—even before enough completed sales become available.
 
Back
Top