Tokyo property transactions: what tends to surprise buyers and sellers?

zia.vale

First-time buyer
I work around the Tokyo property market and often see confusion about where an agent’s role ends and regulated legal, tax or lending advice begins. I’m opening this thread for practical questions on pricing evidence, negotiation, vacancy, financing timelines, document responsibility and coordination between professionals.

Please include the jurisdiction, property type and whether you are buying or selling. I’ll separate personal market experience from matters that need an appropriately regulated adviser. Local professionals are welcome to explain where their process differs.
 
Tokyo, Japan; buyer considering a resale condominium. If an asking price looks high compared with nearby listings, what evidence is actually useful before making a lower offer? I’m also unsure whether financing uncertainty should be disclosed with the offer or only once the seller responds.
 
The nearby listings alone may be a weak comparison. Are they genuinely similar in size, condition, building and occupancy status, and are they asking prices rather than completed transactions? I’d also clarify whether you plan to occupy the unit or retain a tenant. Those facts could affect both the comparison and what terms matter to you.
 
I’d frame the offer around evidence rather than a percentage discount: identify the closest comparable properties, explain material differences, and state your preferred timing and financing position clearly. A seller may reject a lower number even when the reasoning is sound, particularly if your other terms add uncertainty. Price and transaction certainty are negotiated together.
 
Tokyo property, selling rather than buying. Who should disclose it if one firm or related parties appear to be involved on more than one side of the transaction? I’m less worried about the arrangement itself than about understanding who represents whose interests and whether recommendations are independent.
 
To clarify my concern: I’d want that relationship explained before relying on a price opinion or accepting a recommended professional. Is it reasonable to ask in writing how each party is connected, who receives fees, and which decisions require separate legal, tax or lending advice?
 
Reasonable to ask, yes, but I wouldn’t treat every shared contact or referral as proof of a conflict. The useful request is a plain description of roles, relationships and compensation, followed by specific questions about anything unclear. Demanding every internal document could distract from identifying which transaction records the seller owns and which materials are the firm’s own work.
 
A practical step for both questions would be to create a responsibility list before negotiating: who supplies property documents, who verifies title-related matters, who handles finance approval, who answers tax or legal questions, and who keeps the current version of each document. Put dates beside financing and document tasks. That exposes gaps without assuming every participant follows the same timetable.
 
That helps. Mine would be an owner-occupied resale condominium, currently vacant, with financing still to be confirmed. I’ll separate asking listings from completed-sale evidence, note the differences between units, and ask the agent how the financing condition and timing should be presented. I’ll also request a written outline of roles rather than assuming the agent covers legal or lending questions.
 
Back
Top