Tokyo apartment loan: comparing a 4.92% two-year fix with fees

SimpleLane

First-time buyer
Established
A 4.92% rate fixed for two years is the condition driving this decision. The quote is for a Tokyo apartment purchase of about ¥219,600,000, and fees plus the applicable loan-to-value band make the headline offers difficult to compare.

For such a short fixed period, should I rank lenders by two-year cash cost and remaining balance rather than APR alone? The payment difference each month is affordable, so the more important unknown may be the reset terms. I am asking for figures under three paths: keeping the loan after the reset, refinancing at two years, and repaying early. Portability also sounds useful, but I need to establish exactly when it applies. Is there another figure in the lender illustrations that would materially change this comparison?
 
For a two-year fix, I’d compare total payments and all upfront fees over those two years, then also note the remaining loan balance at the end. APR can help, but it may obscure the short holding period if it assumes a longer term.

I’d ask each lender for the same scenarios: staying after reset, refinancing after two years, and repaying early. Also confirm exactly what “portable” means in their terms. A small monthly saving can disappear quickly if it depends on a favourable refinance assumption.
 
Back
Top