Tokyo 5-bed villa: does ¥293,100 monthly rent justify ¥48,960,000?

walksAndKey

Property investor
Established
Before taking this any further, I need to decide whether the apparent return compensates for the costs I still cannot pin down. The Tokyo property is a 5-bed villa at ¥48,960,000, with projected rent of ¥293,100 a month and a headline yield of 7.2%.

I have factored in vacancy, management, regular maintenance and money for major repairs, but local ownership costs and purchase expenses remain less certain. The building looks sound, although that does not say much about future cash flow.

The missing fact for me is whether ¥293,100 reflects signed rents for comparable villas or only an asking figure. If it is well supported, I would concentrate on tax, insurance and turnover costs. If it is optimistic, I would want a lower purchase price rather than rely on the gross yield. What local expense or assumption should I verify first?
 
Tenant turnover may be the weak point because a 5-bed villa has a narrower renter pool than a smaller unit. I would also separate recurring property tax and insurance from one-off transaction costs so the operating yield remains clear.

How firm is the ¥293,100 rent estimate, and what vacancy period did you assume? Those two inputs could matter more than a small difference in management cost.
 
The narrow renter pool for a 5-bed is the point that would make me less concerned about the purchase fees and more concerned about recurring risk. Fees hurt once; an overstated rent or repeated long vacancies keep hurting.

I understand the temptation to set a minimum net yield and work backwards. Here I would test the stated rent against a lower-rent, longer-turnover case, then add a major repair while the villa is empty. Borrowing terms should be varied separately if financing is involved.

A purchase can still work after higher transaction costs if the operating cash flow is resilient. If the middle case already feels tight, though, the 7.2% gross figure would not persuade me to proceed.
 
Back
Top