Tokyo 2-bed: accept ¥15,300 monthly negative cash flow?

walksAndKey

Property investor
Established
I’m considering a 2-bed apartment in Tokyo at roughly ¥146,100,000. The location seems capable of supporting long-term demand, but using conservative rent of ¥926,500 and allowing for reserves leaves about a ¥15,300 monthly shortfall.

I can comfortably cover that, yet the purchase appears to rely on rent growth or appreciation to work. Would you view this as a calculated investment, or simply paying monthly for an appreciation bet? If you would walk away, what part of the numbers would decide it?
 
A small negative month is not automatically fatal, especially if the financing payment includes principal reduction. But I would not approve it based on location and hoped-for growth alone. The key distinction is whether ¥15,300 is the genuine all-in shortfall or only the shortfall in an ordinary occupied month. Vacancy and tenant turnover can make the annual result look quite different.
 
What exactly is included in the reserves—management cost, maintenance, insurance and property tax, or just the building reserve? Also, has the rent estimate been tested against a period without a tenant and a possible financing-cost change? Until those are clear, ¥15,300 sounds more precise than the underlying assumptions justify.
 
I’m slightly less negative than Leo. At this purchase price, I would care more about how the deal behaves under stress than whether the starting monthly figure is just below zero. Rework it with a realistic vacancy allowance, one tenant change, and higher ownership or financing costs. Then separate principal repayment from actual expense. If it still requires appreciation merely to avoid a poor return, I’d pass; if the downside remains affordable and principal reduction explains much of the shortfall, it may be a defensible long-term choice.
 
Back
Top