Thin reserves and possible ARS 64.68m assessment on a Buenos Aires apartment

teaAndPath

Property investor
Established
I need to establish my maximum financial exposure before committing to any purchase. The property is a 245 m² Buenos Aires apartment in a building with limited reserves, and substantial exterior works are under consideration. The owners have discussed amounts reaching ARS 64,680,000, but there is no approved scope or allocation yet.

I’m checking meeting minutes, reserve statements, insurance and the maintenance plan. Beyond those, which records would show whether this is normal advance planning or a problem that has been deferred? I also want to understand how a large future contribution could affect tenant demand, vacancy and resale, rather than relying on assurances about the location.
 
First establish what the ARS 64,680,000 represents: the whole project, one owner’s contribution, or an early estimate with no defined scope. Ask for the engineering assessment, itemised contractor proposals, reserve statements, recent budgets and the method used to allocate building expenses among units. Several years of minutes may also show whether the work was identified early and repeatedly deferred.
 
Is the exterior work mainly cosmetic, or does it involve water ingress, balconies, windows or structural concerns? “Exterior” is too broad to price sensibly. I’d also ask whether any urgent temporary repairs are already happening, because that can reveal more than a maintenance plan written before the problem became visible.
 
I wouldn’t automatically walk because reserves are thin. Some buildings simply collect money when projects arise rather than accumulating a large fund. The harder issue is uncertainty: no agreed scope, no firm allocation and no evidence that owners can approve and fund the work.

Insurance deserves a close read too, but don’t assume it will pay for deferred maintenance. Also consider resale liquidity—the next buyer may apply a larger discount than the eventual assessment.
 
Agreed on separating poor funding practice from an actual building defect. I’d make the offer conditional on receiving the technical material and written clarification of the apartment’s potential share. Then model three cases: current estimate, a materially higher project cost, and delayed work with continuing maintenance. If the purchase only makes sense in the best case, the uncertainty is already too expensive.
 
Back
Top