PropertyGuru
Member
Every country has at least one rule that blindsides foreign buyers. The wealth tax you didn't know applied to you. The notary fee schedule nobody mentioned until completion week. The capital gains treatment that turned a decent exit into a mediocre one. The inheritance rules that quietly override your will.
What caught you (or your clients) off guard, and in which country?
Format suggestion: Country → the rule → what it cost or nearly cost → what you'd tell someone buying there today.
Usual disclaimer applies — this is shared experience, not advice, and everyone should verify with a professional in the relevant jurisdiction. But a thread full of "I wish I'd known" entries is exactly the thing people search for at 2am before wiring a deposit.
What caught you (or your clients) off guard, and in which country?
Format suggestion: Country → the rule → what it cost or nearly cost → what you'd tell someone buying there today.
Usual disclaimer applies — this is shared experience, not advice, and everyone should verify with a professional in the relevant jurisdiction. But a thread full of "I wish I'd known" entries is exactly the thing people search for at 2am before wiring a deposit.