Testing an AED 1,655,000 renovation budget for a 190 m² Dubai studio

oren.york

Developer
I can either reserve a contingency now or wait until more of the hidden work has been investigated, and neither approach feels entirely satisfactory. After 30 days of budgeting, the current figure is AED 1,655,000 for renovating a 190 m² studio in Dubai. The planned work covers the kitchen and bathrooms, new finishes, electrical assessment and some energy improvements; an extension is not part of the plan.

Access and sequencing concern me more than the choice of finishes. Before fixing the contingency, which inspections or written contractor assumptions would clarify concealed plumbing, moisture, electrical replacement, making good and any structural work that might only become apparent once surfaces are opened?
 
I would not settle the contingency until the contractor separates confirmed work from allowances and exclusions. Ask for written assumptions on concealed plumbing, electrical replacement versus testing, waterproofing repairs, access panels, making good, debris removal and permit-related work. Also request a sequence showing when walls or floors are opened. Early inspection points matter because one concealed issue can affect several trades.
 
Is this an occupied building, and are the kitchen and bathrooms staying in their current positions? Those two details could materially change access and sequencing. I would also ask what building approvals are needed, who obtains them, and whether the 30 days refers to budgeting elapsed or an intended construction period. Material lead times should be listed separately rather than buried inside the programme.
 
I’d be cautious about assuming “no extension” means structural work is irrelevant. Cutting channels, altering wet areas or loading new finishes may still need clarification before work starts.

That said, I disagree with holding one large undifferentiated contingency. Keep separate sums for concealed conditions and client changes, then require priced options for likely discoveries. Before signing, arrange moisture checks around wet areas, confirm plumbing access, obtain the electrical scope room by room, and attach every exclusion and lead-time assumption to the contract.
 
Back
Top