Tenant turnover changed how I weigh cash flow against appreciation in Dubai

daily_porch

Property investor
Established
I’m comparing a Dubai country home with higher-yield alternatives in cheaper markets. The Dubai property’s current yield is modest, but employment and transport fundamentals look stronger; the cheaper options produce more cash now but appear less liquid.

How do you stop an appreciation thesis becoming an excuse for weak numbers? I’m leaning toward requiring a minimum net cash return—after vacancy, management, maintenance, insurance, any applicable property charges and financing—before assigning value to future growth. What detail would decide this for you?
 
I would put appreciation at zero in the base case. First see whether the property clears your minimum return after realistic operating costs and a vacancy allowance, then stress it for higher financing costs and an expensive maintenance period. If it still works, employment, transport and likely resale liquidity can break the tie. If it only works because the future sale price rises, the current numbers are telling you something.
 
One missing fact is expected tenant turnover. A headline yield can deteriorate quickly if the country home has a narrower tenant pool, frequent gaps or recurring reletting costs. What hold period are you considering, and does your cash-return hurdle still work if the home sits empty between tenants?
 
I agree with the discipline but not with treating appreciation as entirely irrelevant. Better employment and transport fundamentals may also support occupancy and liquidity, so they can reduce risks inside the cash-flow case rather than merely promise a higher sale price.

I’d compare three versions side by side: normal operations, vacancy plus maintenance, and financing stress. Keep appreciation out of all three. Then record the Dubai fundamentals separately as reasons to prefer it only if the downside case remains affordable.
 
Back
Top