Tenant screening without turning good applicants away after 17 days

SlowYard

Landlord
Established
At day 17, I need to decide whether to keep waiting or choose among applicants who are strong in different ways. The property is a five-bedroom country home in Atlanta, and no single application clearly leads on documented income, credit record and references.

I want to use the same written criteria for everyone without allowing one blunt threshold to exclude an otherwise dependable tenant. Which verified information is most useful for judging payment reliability and the likelihood that someone will stay? The answer may also depend on the home’s maintenance demands and whether applicants understand those responsibilities.

I am beginning to wonder if this mixed response points to the asking rent rather than the screening process. I also need the criteria, notice terms and deposit arrangements to align with current Atlanta and Georgia requirements.
 
Start by defining the same minimums for everyone, then verify them in the same order. Stable, documented ability to pay and an explainable payment history are more useful than chasing the highest credit score. References can add context, but they should not override contradictory records. Also compare the likely vacancy and turnover cost with the value of holding out for a marginally stronger application.
 
What does the maintenance history look like? A large country home may have grounds, systems or access issues that make tenant expectations especially important. I’d ask every applicant the same neutral questions about intended occupancy, move-in timing and understanding of maintenance responsibilities.

I’m less confident in landlord references than Rafael is. A current landlord may have an incentive to help someone leave, while an older reference may be more informative. Deposit handling and any notice terms should also be checked against current Atlanta and Georgia requirements before you publish criteria.
 
Seventeen days alone would not make me lower the standard, but it is enough to recheck the offer. Compare the rent and property condition with genuinely similar 5-bed homes, not ordinary suburban houses. Then use a simple written matrix for all remaining applicants: verified income, payment history, prior-tenancy evidence, occupancy fit and unresolved inconsistencies. Record why each person passes or fails each requirement, and avoid adding new rules midway through the applications.
 
Back
Top