Tenant screening for a 4-bed Manila villa without rejecting good applicants

canvas.grand

Property investor
I’m reviewing applicants for a 4-bed villa in Manila. Income, references and credit history each favour a different person, so choosing whichever file simply “feels safest” seems neither consistent nor fair.

Which objective criteria are genuinely useful for predicting payment reliability and tenant retention? I’m also interested in rules that sound reassuring but add little—especially once vacancy time, turnover cost and maintenance history are considered. The process needs to be lawful locally, not just thorough for its own sake.
 
I’d give the most weight to verified ability to pay, evidence of payments being made as agreed, and whether the application is internally consistent. Ask every applicant the same questions and record how each item was verified.

A glowing reference is weaker if it is vague or cannot be checked. Likewise, a high income does not resolve unexplained gaps or contradictory information. Avoid adding criteria after seeing who scores best.
 
What exactly is pulling the references apart: comments about payment, property care, communication, or simply length of tenancy? Those are not equivalent.

I’d also confirm that the asking rent reflects the current market before treating applicant quality as the whole problem. If the rent is misaligned, a rigid income rule can produce a neat-looking shortlist while increasing vacancy time.
 
I’d be cautious about making credit history the deciding factor. The amount and quality of available information can vary, so a thinner record is not automatically evidence of greater risk.

I also disagree slightly with treating payment alone as the best predictor. For a villa, evidence about reporting maintenance promptly and leaving previous homes in reasonable condition matters because deferred problems can be costly. Keep that separate from subjective judgments about personality.

Before issuing terms, confirm the current Manila/Philippines requirements around deposits, permitted deductions and notice. Those details can affect the real downside more than a marginal difference between two otherwise credible applicants.
 
Helpful distinction. By “don’t point to the same person,” I mean the leading applicant changes depending on whether I prioritise income, references or credit history—not that anyone necessarily failed all three.

I’m going to define the scorecard before looking at the names again: verified affordability and payment reliability first, then consistency, tenancy history and maintenance-related comments. Any adverse point will need a chance for explanation. I’ll also recheck the market rent and local deposit and notice requirements rather than using screening to compensate for weak lease administration.
 
That sounds more defensible, but don’t let the score become automatic. Use it to expose why applicants differ, then apply the same written decision rule to comparable cases.

I’d add two final steps: verify references through independently obtained contact details where possible, and write down what evidence could resolve an apparent contradiction. Also compare the realistic cost of a slightly longer vacancy with the turnover risk of choosing quickly. Retention can be worth more than selecting the applicant with the most impressive single metric.
 
Back
Top