Sydney warehouse at A$1,163,000: what belongs on the full cost checklist?

loft.balanced

First-time buyer
Established
I’m building a purchase and ongoing-cost checklist for a Sydney warehouse priced around A$1,163,000. I have transfer tax, registration and legal/notary costs on the first draft, but I’m less clear about ownership restrictions, structure-dependent charges, annual property costs, capital-gains treatment, residency and inheritance planning.

Which items are commonly absent from an initial estimate, and what questions should I take to licensed Australian legal and tax professionals? I’m particularly keen to separate one-off closing costs from recurring liabilities.
 
Start by asking for two separate schedules: cash required through settlement, and costs arising after ownership begins. Otherwise annual charges get mixed into the closing figure. Also ask what due diligence is outside the legal-fee quote and whether the quoted price has any tax treatment that needs clarifying for a commercial property. I would not assume a generic overseas “notary” line applies unchanged in Sydney.
 
Is the warehouse freestanding or part of a strata arrangement, and will it be occupied by the buyer or leased? Those details could change the recurring-cost questions considerably. I’d also ask whether A$1,163,000 is the complete price basis being used for every estimate. A vague fee quote is difficult to compare if different advisers are calculating from different assumptions.
 
I’d push back slightly on treating ownership structure as another closing-cost line. The setup fee may be visible, but the larger issue is how the structure interacts with annual property charges, eventual capital gains, residency status and succession. Choosing solely because one option is cheaper at settlement could be false economy.

Before requesting numbers, give the adviser the intended holding period, use of the warehouse, residency position of each proposed owner and inheritance objectives. Restrictions may also depend on facts not yet stated, so ask for a written list of assumptions rather than a single headline total.
 
The freestanding-versus-strata point is exactly the sort of missing fact I needed. That and the intended ownership structure are not settled yet, so I’ll request scenario-based estimates rather than pretending there is one final total. I’ll also ask each adviser to state whether their figure covers only settlement or includes the first year of recurring charges.
 
A practical way to finish the checklist is to make each professional fill in the same columns: item, estimated amount or calculation method, payment date, payer, recurring or one-off, and assumption requiring confirmation. Include transfer tax, registration, legal work, any separately quoted specialist work, annual property charges and exit-related tax questions.

For inheritance planning, don’t leave the conversation until after the purchase. Ask how the proposed ownership form would be dealt with on death and whether residency changes the answer. That is jurisdiction- and circumstance-dependent, but raising it before signing should expose conflicts between the purchase structure, capital-gains planning and succession intentions.
 
Back
Top