Sydney retail unit at A$1.201m: which legal and tax costs are easiest to miss?

I’m considering a Sydney retail unit priced around A$1,201,000. The building minutes mention proposed work three times but give no firm estimate, so I’m concerned that a levy could be the largest unknown.

My checklist already includes transfer tax, legal or conveyancing costs and registration. I’m less clear about ownership restrictions or structures, annual property charges, capital-gains treatment, residency rules and inheritance planning. What commonly falls outside the first estimate, and what should I ask licensed local advisers before proceeding?
 
The unpriced building work may matter more than a missed closing fee. Ask for the current levies, any proposed or approved special levies, available quotes, the relevant fund balance and how costs would be allocated to this lot.

Also ask whether the A$1,201,000 price has any GST implications. For a retail unit, that should be clarified in writing rather than assumed.
 
Two missing facts: are you Australian-resident for tax purposes, and would you buy personally or through another ownership structure? Those answers may change which restrictions and ongoing taxes need investigation. Is the unit vacant or tenanted as well?

I’d also ask why “notary costs” appear on the estimate and have the local lawyer explain exactly which professional and registration charges actually apply.
 
I wouldn’t put the tax work behind the building issue. The works are a major uncertainty, but an incorrect assumption about buyer status or ownership can affect both acquisition and eventual sale.

Request a written estimate covering current NSW transfer and registration costs, annual rates or land-related charges, strata levies, and possible capital-gains and inheritance consequences for your residency. If any foreign-buyer rules might apply, establish that before committing to a contract.
 
I’d keep two budgets: one for identifiable transaction and annual costs, and another contingency for the building work. That prevents an uncertain levy from being buried among fixed charges.

For the works, request all available minutes, budgets, levy notices, quotes and correspondence, then ask who pays if a levy is approved before settlement but becomes due afterward. Separately, have the lawyer and tax adviser confirm the proposed ownership structure and GST treatment before signing.
 
Nadia’s two-budget approach is sensible, but the contract timing question needs a direct answer rather than a general contingency. The adviser should identify how this particular contract allocates a levy at each stage: merely discussed, formally approved, invoiced or overdue.

I’d also ask for the ownership options to be compared through purchase, annual holding, sale and inheritance. Choosing solely by the lowest upfront cost can obscure later consequences.
 
Back
Top