Sydney property transactions: where do the surprises usually arise?

RealMap

First-time buyer
Founding Member
I work around the Sydney property market and repeatedly see people treat pricing, negotiation, finance, tax and paperwork as though they form one continuous process. In practice, different professionals may be answering different questions, on different timelines, and that can cause surprises late in a transaction.

I’m opening a practical Q&A about those gaps. Please include your jurisdiction and property type. I can discuss pricing evidence, negotiation limits, financing timing, document ownership and conflict disclosure from an appraisal perspective, while separating general experience from matters that need regulated legal, tax or lending advice. Local professionals are welcome to explain where their process differs.
 
For a Sydney apartment, how should a buyer reconcile the advertised price with comparable sales and a later lender valuation? If finance timing is tight, is it sensible to settle on a negotiation limit before the valuation arrives, or does that risk relying on the wrong evidence? I’d also like to know which parts an appraiser can properly address and which should go to the lender or conveyancer.
 
I would not treat the lender valuation as a delayed verdict on whether the negotiated price was “correct.” It may have a different purpose and client. Before relying on any report, ask who commissioned it, who may use it, and whether the buyer is entitled to receive it.

On the negotiation limit, I partly disagree with waiting for one valuation to decide everything. Set a provisional ceiling using the available sales evidence and financing constraints, then leave room to revise it. Tax treatment, contract risk and loan approval sit outside an appraiser’s scope and depend on the jurisdiction. Any relationship between the appraiser, lender, agent or other party should also be disclosed and understood.
 
Back
Top