Sydney 1-bed at A$494,000 and A$3,512/month — does the yield hold up?

wall.wide

Landlord
Before committing any more time or money, I have to work out whether the strong headline return compensates for an uncertain rent assumption. This Sydney coastal one-bedroom is priced at A$494,000, with projected rent of A$3,512 per month, giving a gross yield of about 8.5%.

It would be our first rental. My model includes management, vacancy and routine upkeep, and I have set aside enough for one substantial repair. The concern is that coastal maintenance could consume that reserve quickly—for example, a major exterior issue might arrive alongside an empty month.

I also need to model the financing rather than rely on gross yield. Which owner expenses would you show separately, and what vacancy assumption would you use before treating the cash flow as credible?
 
If it is part of a strata scheme, the regular levies and any potential special levies are the first figures I’d want. They can turn an attractive gross yield into an ordinary net result, especially in a coastal building where exterior maintenance may be costly. Also separate council charges, water-related owner costs and landlord insurance rather than burying them in one general allowance.
 
Is A$3,512 a verified long-term monthly rent, or an estimate based on short stays or peak-season advertising? That is roughly A$42,144 a year, so the 8.5% calculation works, but the unusually strong yield makes the rent assumption the part I would challenge first. Ask for comparable settled leases, not advertised asking rents, and clarify whether the property comes furnished.
 
I wouldn’t start by choosing a net-yield target. Financing can dominate the outcome: test the cash flow at your actual loan amount and at a higher interest rate, then add several weeks without rent plus reletting costs. A respectable net yield can still produce uncomfortable cash flow if debt is high. Conversely, a lower yield may be manageable with a large deposit.
 
I partly disagree that vacancy is the main threat. One empty month costs A$3,512, but a large building expense could be much more disruptive and may arrive without improving the rent. Read the strata records, recent meeting minutes and planned works before relying on “looks sound.” Visual condition tells you little about the owners’ corporation’s finances or deferred common-property work.
 
Build three versions before proceeding: expected rent, rent reduced by 10%, and a turnover year with extra vacancy, cleaning and reletting. In each, list strata, management, insurance, council and water charges, maintenance, financing and tax separately. Keep purchase costs outside the annual yield but include them when calculating your total return on cash invested. If the deal only works in the first version, the 8.5% headline is doing too much of the selling.
 
Back
Top