Student housing or similarly priced duplex in Athens?

drawTheTrail

Homeowner
Established
I’m comparing a 255 m² student-housing property with a similarly priced duplex in Athens. Student housing initially looks easier to maintain, while the duplex seems to offer more control but potentially larger, irregular bills.

My model includes transaction costs, insurance, energy use and resale liquidity. I’m less certain about turnover, vacancy risk, shared-building reserves and day-to-day management. Which option is actually simpler after the first year, and what should I add to the pre-purchase checklist?
 
I wouldn’t assume the student option is simpler. More occupants can mean more move-ins, minor repairs, furnishing wear and coordination, even if no single bill is dramatic. A duplex may have fewer interventions but bigger occasional costs concentrated in one roof, heating system or exterior.

Compare both under a bad year: a vacancy, an insurance excess, high energy use and one major repair. That may be more revealing than average annual costs.
 
The missing detail is how the 255 m² property is held and operated. Is it one unit in a shared building, several separately usable rooms, or a standalone building? Also, who controls common-area work and reserve contributions?

That changes Bianca’s comparison considerably. The duplex does not necessarily provide more control if it also shares structural decisions, while the student property’s resale audience may depend heavily on whether another buyer can use it differently.
 
Hugo’s point about the ownership arrangement comes before the property-type comparison. I’d also challenge the idea that one has inherently better tenant demand: student housing may have concentrated turnover periods, whereas a duplex can still suffer a long whole-unit vacancy.

Before choosing, request itemised energy and maintenance history where available, identify every shared expense, map who approves major works, and price two vacancy scenarios. Then ask local insurance, tax and legal advisers to compare the exact structures rather than generic labels.
 
Back
Top