After 51 days on the market, a 5%-below offer does not seem unreasonable, but the failed earlier deal worries me more than the listing age. The Montreal coastal home is asking C$1,863,000, needs updating, and the seller is said to have no urgent reason to accept less.
Nearby listings support the general range, while the completed-sale evidence is too limited for me to treat any figure as firm value. I could support my offer with financing proof and accommodate the seller’s preferred completion timing, but I do not want that flexibility confused with a promise to cover an appraisal shortfall.
Would you make the offer conditional on inspection and financing, with a modest deposit and a clear response deadline? If the earlier deal failed over the property or appraisal, I would reassess the price; if it was buyer-specific, I would be more comfortable opening 5% under asking.
Nearby listings support the general range, while the completed-sale evidence is too limited for me to treat any figure as firm value. I could support my offer with financing proof and accommodate the seller’s preferred completion timing, but I do not want that flexibility confused with a promise to cover an appraisal shortfall.
Would you make the offer conditional on inspection and financing, with a modest deposit and a clear response deadline? If the earlier deal failed over the property or appraisal, I would reassess the price; if it was buyer-specific, I would be more comfortable opening 5% under asking.