Stockholm apartment: raise rent or retain a reliable tenant?

cai.fable

Homeowner
Established
The tenant would naturally prefer the present SEK 34,550 rent, and I hesitate to disturb an arrangement that has been dependable. Comparable Stockholm apartments are being advertised at about SEK 37,570, but I am not sure that asking figure justifies risking a good tenancy.

My current thinking has two branches: if the comparison and tenancy terms support a review under Swedish rules, I could propose a measured increase with the correct notice; if they do not, I would leave the rent alone. How would you account for vacancy, administration, refurbishment and deposit handling when judging the difference? I want to settle the legal and financial basis before raising it with the tenant.
 
I would start by treating SEK 37,570 as an asking figure, not automatically as the rent you are entitled to charge. The tenancy arrangement and how the comparison was established matter in Sweden. Before proposing a number, confirm the applicable rules and notice process. Financially, a dependable tenant has real value even if it does not appear in the headline rent.
 
How comparable is the apartment behind the SEK 37,570 figure—same area, condition, furnishing and tenancy terms? Also, has your tenant reported maintenance issues that remain unresolved? A rent discussion will land very differently if repairs are outstanding, while a good maintenance history gives you a better basis for a calm review.
 
Exactly. I would not call an increase “modest” to the tenant until the legal basis and the comparison are clear. A friendly conversation cannot substitute for the required process. Find out which notice rules apply to this particular letting, then explain the reasoning in writing without suggesting that the tenant must accept the advertised-market figure.
 
The arithmetic also favours caution. The difference is SEK 3,020 per month, or SEK 36,240 over a full year. One vacant month at the stated asking rent would exceed that gross annual gain, before refurbishment, advertising or administration. That does not mean never increasing the rent, but it makes retention a rational financial choice rather than merely a goodwill gesture.
 
I would build two simple scenarios: retain the tenant under a compliant adjustment, or re-let after a realistic vacancy period. Include expected repairs, any actual transaction costs, and the time needed for inspection and deposit handling. Then verify the permitted rent and notice route locally. If an adjustment is supportable, a transparent explanation and reasonable timing are more likely to preserve trust than presenting SEK 37,570 as a take-it-or-leave-it target.
 
Back
Top