Singapore apartments: does the 4.9% movement survive a condition check?

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
An update to my Singapore apartment sample has raised another question: condition seems to explain more than the headline movement. The listings run from S$863,000 to S$1,294,000, with a typical marketing period of roughly 45 days. Renovated units often left the market quickly, whereas tired ones lingered or had their prices reduced.

That makes the reported 4.9% movement hard to assess without recent completed sales and withdrawn stock. I’m also unsure how to classify vacancy. Does an empty unit give buyers leverage, or does it simply make defects more obvious and send them toward a better-presented alternative?
 
Vacancy alone probably does not answer it. An empty unit can be easier to view, but it can also expose every defect and make a tired interior look worse. Are you using “vacant” to mean empty during marketing, or looking at rental vacancy? Those would lead to different buyer behaviour.
 
The bigger weakness is comparing asking prices rather than recent completed sales. A listing that takes two reductions can still appear in the sample at its original price. Neighbourhood boundaries matter too; even nearby groups of apartments may not be reasonable substitutes. I would not treat 4.9% as meaningful until those two points are controlled.
 
I mean empty during marketing, not rental vacancy. The 45 days is marketing time from the listings I sampled. I have not yet separated the renovated units or tightened the neighbourhood boundaries, which may explain why the overall number feels inconsistent.
 
Then I would split condition before vacancy. A buyer with financing constraints may prefer a renovated unit because the purchase price is easier to plan around than uncertain work afterward. That does not necessarily mean the renovated property is better value; it may simply fit the buyer’s available cash and timing.
 
I partly disagree that vacancy is secondary. An empty property may suggest the seller has stronger reasons to complete, especially once it has been listed for a while. Buyers can test that with an offer. The useful comparison would be vacant versus occupied units of similar condition, followed by how quickly each group gets a first price cut.
 
That is fair, but an empty unit does not automatically prove urgency. Some sellers may simply have moved before listing. Bianca, I would track four things together: recent completed sales, new-listing volume, withdrawn stock and days until the first reduction. Withdrawals are important because otherwise stale properties can vanish from the data and look like successful sales.
 
Seller motivation may be the missing link between the two views. Record whether each listing is vacant, occupied or unclear, but do not use vacancy as a direct substitute for motivation. Then note condition, original ask, each reduction and final outcome where available. Even a small table should show whether empty units actually attract deeper cuts or merely sell faster.
 
Also keep the median at 45 days rather than letting a few neglected units pull attention toward the average. I would rerun the sample within tighter neighbourhood boundaries and condition bands. If the 4.9% movement remains after comparing completed sales and accounting for withdrawn listings, it is more persuasive. If it disappears, the apparent rise was probably mix rather than a broad move.
 
Back
Top