Singapore 4-bed at S$837,500 renting for S$4,813/month — sanity check

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
I would like this Singapore 4-bed to produce a dependable return, but the headline numbers may be doing too much of the work. At S$837,500 with projected rent of S$4,813 a month, the gross yield is about 6.9%; service charges and financing costs could change the result quickly.

My model includes empty periods, management, ordinary upkeep and cash set aside for a major repair. I now want to replace estimates with evidence—for example, recent service-charge statements and support for the rent figure. Which Singapore-specific ownership or transaction cost is most often missed, and what net return would make the financing and vacancy risk acceptable to you?
 
Property tax and service charges are the first two figures I’d pin down rather than estimate. I’d also calculate yield against the total acquisition cost, not just S$837,500, because transaction costs can change the denominator. Ask for recent service-charge statements and check whether any major common-area work is being discussed.
 
How firm is the S$4,813 rent? Is it supported by an existing tenancy, comparable leases, or an agent’s projection? That distinction may matter more than refining the maintenance reserve. I’d also want the apartment’s tenure, size, condition and whether the expected rent assumes it is furnished before judging 6.9%.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss the deal solely because the gross figure will fall after expenses. Annual rent is S$57,756, so there is at least some room before financing. The bigger unknown is debt: a respectable property-level net yield can still produce poor cash flow if borrowing costs rise or the loan terms are restrictive. Are you evaluating this with cash or a mortgage?
 
I’d model tenant turnover separately from ordinary vacancy. A 4-bed can mean more wear, cleaning and work between tenancies, even if the empty period is short. Include reletting costs and the possibility that the next tenant negotiates below S$4,813. Running the model at several rent levels would be more useful than relying on one expected figure.
 
One caveat to the service-charge concern: don’t automatically add every building expense again under maintenance or insurance. Find out what the service charge actually includes, then reserve separately for items inside the apartment and anything excluded. Otherwise the conservative model can accidentally count the same risk twice and make a workable property look worse than it is.
 
For me, the acceptable net yield depends on how fragile it is. I’d run three cases: expected rent and normal occupancy; lower rent plus turnover; and lower rent with a significant repair in the same year. Then add financing to each case. If cash flow becomes negative after one fairly ordinary setback, the 6.9% headline is not compensating you much.
 
Before choosing a target net yield, get four missing numbers: confirmed annual service charges, the applicable property-tax amount, realistic insurance, and total acquisition costs. Then verify the rent evidence and inspect any planned building works. I’d negotiate from the stressed cash flow rather than from 6.9%; if the seller’s price only works with S$4,813 every month and no surprises, there is little margin for error.
 
Back
Top