Shorten or waive inspection on an older Utrecht property at €731,400?

green_glass

Seller
Established
We have lost two offers on older Utrecht studios to buyers accepting fewer conditions. Our agent thinks shortening the inspection period could make our next offer more competitive, but waiving inspection entirely at €731,400 feels reckless. The visible condition is decent, although the building’s age and a possible vacancy issue worry me. The property has now been on the market for 26 days.

Would a pre-offer inspection or a contingency limited to serious structural findings be a sensible middle ground? I would also appreciate keeping Dutch legal requirements separate from what is simply a buyer’s personal risk tolerance.
 
I would shorten the window before I waived inspection. First ask whether an inspector can attend before bids close; if not, make the period as brief and clearly scheduled as practical. Have a Dutch notary or other appropriate adviser confirm the exact contract wording and any consequences. Whether you can emotionally tolerate hidden defects is a separate question from what the agreement legally permits.
 
What exactly is the vacancy concern: the studio being empty, uncertainty about delivery without occupants, or vacant units elsewhere in the building? Those are different risks. I would also want to know whether there is an owners’ association, what the service charges cover, and whether building-level maintenance information is available. An inspection inside one studio may not answer the expensive communal-building questions.
 
Also work backwards from your cash after completion. If the purchase leaves little room after moving costs, the first mortgage payment and any immediate repairs, even a relatively ordinary inspection finding can hurt. The sensible level of risk depends partly on the emergency fund remaining, not only on how competitive the offer looks.
 
I slightly disagree that a narrow “structural only” condition is automatically the best compromise. It sounds clean, but arguments can arise over what qualifies as structural rather than overdue maintenance. A condition tied to clearly drafted findings or a repair-cost threshold may be easier to apply, but the wording needs Netherlands-specific advice rather than improvisation in the offer.
 
Twenty-six days on the market would not persuade me to waive anything by itself. It might create room to request a quick inspection, but it could equally mean previous buyers noticed a complication. Ask the agent why it remains available and whether earlier negotiations reached the inspection stage. The answer may be more useful than the day count.
 
Make three budgets before bidding: no repairs, manageable early repairs, and a painful surprise. Include service charges, insurance excess, movers and the first mortgage payment. Delay furniture if necessary; it is easier to live with a folding table than to discover that all available cash went into furnishing while essential work cannot wait.
 
Yes, and the association side deserves its own questions. A clean-looking studio does not establish the condition or funding of shared parts. I would give the inspector any available building information in advance and ask what they cannot assess during a short visit. That limitation matters when deciding whether a faster inspection still gives enough protection.
 
Before relying on insurance as a fallback, ask the insurer what is covered, what is excluded and what excess would apply. Insurance is not a substitute for maintenance or an inspection. I would reserve the emergency fund for defects and moving surprises, then buy nonessential furniture gradually once the first few months of housing costs are clear.
 
A pre-offer inspection seems strongest if access can be arranged quickly, because the seller then receives an offer without a later inspection condition while you still obtain some information. The trade-off is paying for an inspection before knowing whether your offer succeeds. Given that you already lost two bids, decide in advance how many times you are willing to incur that cost.
 
Keep the legal question very specific when you seek local advice: what inspection language is enforceable, what deadlines apply under the proposed contract, and what happens if you withdraw based on findings? Do not rely on a general impression that buyers can always cancel. Separately, decide the maximum repair exposure you would voluntarily accept at this price.
 
I would present the seller with two possible routes through your agent: access for a pre-offer inspection, or an offer with a short, precisely drafted inspection condition. If neither is accepted, walking away is still a legitimate first-time-buyer decision. Losing two properties is frustrating, but it does not make hidden-condition risk smaller or replenish the emergency fund after completion.
 
Back
Top