TrueSignal
Homeowner
I have sketched out a €198,000 budget for renovating a 160 m² Dublin studio, but I still cannot tell how much of the risk is visible before work starts. The planned items include the kitchen, bathrooms, floors, decoration, electrical review and moderate energy improvements. There is no extension in the plan, though hidden defects could still lead to structural work.
My main uncertainty is access to services and any history of leaks or damp. If wiring and pipework are accessible and the moisture checks are clear, a standard contingency may be enough. If either is concealed or signs of water appear, I would want a larger reserve and a different sequence before committing to finishes.
Which survey findings would move you from the first approach to the second, and how should contractors separate fixed scope, provisional allowances and exclusions?
My main uncertainty is access to services and any history of leaks or damp. If wiring and pipework are accessible and the moisture checks are clear, a standard contingency may be enough. If either is concealed or signs of water appear, I would want a larger reserve and a different sequence before committing to finishes.
Which survey findings would move you from the first approach to the second, and how should contractors separate fixed scope, provisional allowances and exclusions?