Seoul studio: is a separate sewer scope worth adding?

loft.real

First-time buyer
Getting this wrong could mean facing a major drain repair just as the first mortgage payment and other immediate jobs fall due. The property is an older 55 m² studio in Seoul, priced at about ₩531,300,000, and the general inspection does not cover the line serving it.

I have been quoted ₩12,420,000 as a rough full-replacement figure. With established trees along the street, would you pay for a separate camera inspection now, or first establish which pipe sections belong to the unit or building and see whether the main inspection finds drainage symptoms?
 
Before paying for it, I’d confirm what “private sewer line” means for this particular studio. Is it a standalone property, or a unit where some pipes are shared and handled through the building? Trees near the street may not matter if the relevant section is common infrastructure. Ask who maintains each section and whether there is an accessible point from which a useful scope can actually be done.
 
One more question: are there any slow drains, smells, backups, damp areas, or comments from the general inspector? I wouldn’t treat the ₩12,420,000 replacement figure as proof that replacement is likely. Without symptoms, ownership clarity and access would be what tipped the decision for me.
 
That distinction is exactly what I haven’t established yet. I was treating everything beyond the studio as one line, but I need the seller or building management to explain which section is attached to the unit and who pays if it fails. I’ll also ask the inspector to flag drainage symptoms. If the potentially expensive section is actually my responsibility and can be scoped properly, I’ll add it.
 
I’d lean slightly more toward doing it once responsibility is confirmed. The downside is large enough that a comparatively small investigation can still be worthwhile without visible symptoms, especially in an older property. But protect the emergency fund first: moving costs, immediate repairs, service charges, insurance excess and the first mortgage payment all arrive before optional furniture. Get the pipe responsibility and access point in writing, then decide based on whether the scope can answer a real question rather than merely produce footage.
 
Back
Top